Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Ouch! Another night of getting beat up...

Down 100 last night on full tilt when I was tricky and raised with 68s and flopped the nut straight vs. an aggressive player. I bet pot and was reraised on flop... smooth call from me even with the flush draw out there. Turn is a blank so I bet 1/4 pot hoping to get reraised so I can push. He calls and then the river pairs the board and puts a flush down. I check and he bets 1/2 pot and I pay off his flush.... when I am playing well I would have bet pot on the turn to charge him to draw to that type of flush. Results in less suckouts and often smaller wins but gets rid of these types of losses on the river... I had him on an overpair for the entire hand which is probably too narrow.

I did place 2nd in a $5 2-table SNG over at UB for $22 profit and I also won $25 for betting on the Oilers to beat Anaheim. I hope Buffalo wins so I can get down there for the finals and watch a couple games.... never thought I would be an Oiler fan but what the hell!

Does anyone else find that playing in tournaments messes with their ring game abilities? I seem to take a good loss of a buyin to just get adjusted.

2 comments:

jjok said...

ring games and tourneys generally don't mix, I find.

I have been finding the reverse syndrome.....playing a lot of ring games messes with my tourney game. Throw SNG's in the mix too, as the strategies are a little different.

I have the hardest time playing in a MTT after playing a few hours of ring games, let alone a few days or weeks of ring games.

Best thing to do in a ring game is to tighten up, overplay your nuts, and dump non-nuts to aggression.

My 2 cents......good luck man!

Riverrun said...

I am still adjusting my ring game play after the PSO league. I was a 10BB/100 winner at ring games until that league, I am now a break even player over my last 5000 hands. It's very frustrating but I don't have the time to just play tournaments, so break even + bonuses is okay for the near term.

Keep at it, you'll get it back!