Friday, May 05, 2006

Fun Live Play

Managed to get to a new underground poker club in Toronto last night. Usual assortment of players such as the university kids to the Asian gamblers. In these live events people only remember the crazy stuff you do while playing NL 1/2. So in my third hand, I have QsJx and limp in. Now, online I try to not play for my stack in an unraised pot, but live has less hands so sometimes you have to push edges harder.

So flop is Kx 10s 5s which gives me the oesd but flush draw on board. Pot is $8 and buddy bets $10 which I take to be a TPGK type of bet with these types of players. I call since I think I can get him to fold on the turn if a scare card hits or slowplay him if I hit.

Turn is a 4s and he bets $15 into the $28 pot. He has about $70 behind him and I figure that my flush draw with the oesd is enough to push him off of top pair. So I push all in... he calls immediately.

He doesn't have the flush but top two pair including the Ks. Here is how bad of shape I am in according to Poker Stove:


Board: Kc Ts 5s 4s
Dead:
equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 86.3668 % 86.38% 00.00% { KsTh }
Hand 2: 13.6332 % 13.63% 00.00% { QsJc }

Lucky for me the 9d showed on the river and I made a mental note to push against that player when I hit my flush next time!

My big hand of the night was when I was in the BB with J6o. I get to see the flop for free and I couldn't believe my eyes J J 6! Nice... since I was aggressive my check must have looked like weakness. The button player couldn't help himself and bet $8 into the 4 player pot which the other 3 of us called. Turn was a 4 and I bet $15 as I was worried that a high card would come out and give someone a better boat. River is a nice 4 and the SB bets $16. I raise to $40 and then MP reraises all in to $75.... button and small blind fold and I win a big hand as he had J10s.

Overall it was a plus $240 night and I put myself in a situation where I didn't have many tough decisions. The pressure wasn't always applied in the correct spot, but it sure was applied!

It is a different feeling when you bust someone and you hear them say on the way out that they probably won't play again for a long time. Then again I think that they are at least smart enough to realize that they were the fish in the game.

1 comment:

CC said...

Very nice work.