Wednesday, June 07, 2006

First WWdN: Not The and first WWdN - a 1-2 Punch

Last Thursday I played in my first WWdN: Not The event. Great time trying to out hoy everyone including Hoyazo himself. It had to be a tournament where I sucked out more than should be humanly possible but I will take the win.


Tonight was my first WWdN event on this festive 06/06/06 day. This is an event where I got a good chiplead and just watched it grow as I won a few races against small stacks. All except shadowtwin who I managed to double up at least three times (I think I deserve a bit of your prize money!).


So I start to get a big stack but not doing too much stealing but raising or folding to keep up the pressure on the table. Then I get the perfect hand in the BB with raising and calling ahead of me. I pushed here because if shadowtwin had AQ or AJ I want him to call here because Peacecorn probably has a similar type of hand.

An orbit later I had the opportunity to do what all bloggers love .... raise UTG with the hammer and take it down.

So now I am a big stack and stealing blinds a bit more as we approach the final table... we get there looking like this:

Let me just say that everyone played great but heffmike was the guy I expected to see heads up. We didn't contest many hands because most often it was decided preflop. Great player who put lots of pressure on everyone regardless of stack size. He folded one hand against me where he raised from EP to 4k and I reraised another 20k to put him all in and he folded. Later he raised from EP again and I had 1010 and I reraised him again and he called.

Eventually I finished second as we only got one hand of heads up ... darn since I have been reading a bit about it in Harrington vol 2. Great read Kaellinn as that couldn't have been an easy call with 2nd pair! That was 4 races in a row that you won against me which is probably the leak in my game that I have to fix. Time to chat online to see what the optimal play is in those situations of having K8 or K9 4-handed on the button. Live and learn... but it was a blast. Forgot to mention that I played in that HORSE event and just donated my money since I don't know how to play any of the other poker games! Razz looks interesting to me.

5 comments:

L'artiste said...

Damn, I was hoping you’d win the whole damn thing! You’ll get ‘em next time.

With a big stack when it’s down to the last 3 or 4 players, don’t mess around if you’re going to be involved in a pot. Apply maximum pressure on the other players and open raise with all your chips. A shorter stack will have to think twice before calling you with a KQ or an A9. You really want to be the all-in aggressor and not the all-in caller with your K9 or K8.

Guin said...

True but I bet half of their stack so I figured that is enough pressure already... if they call that they are showing they will play for their stack.

Thanks for being part of my small cheering section... I think most were behind Wil... and since I am new to this blogging not many know me yet.

Matt Silverthorn said...

Nice job last night, man! You were definitely a terror at the final table. For the record, I made that call with BOTTOM pair. ;-) I thought about it for a bit, and I just came to the conclusion that you really didn't want a call there, so I thought you were on a draw. You definitely played a good game, though. Hope to see you in the Mookie!

Donnie (aka Shadowtwin) said...

I can't thank you enough for doubling me up so many times last night. Unfortunately, much as I never learned how to read, I never learned how to transfer money on PokerStars. So instead of giving you a share of that, I will give you the prestigious honor of busting me out of the next one -if you have better card than whatever I fish out of the river :)

I Like Cake said...

nice job man. you're on fire. me = not on fire. I am the anti-guin right now.