Wednesday, June 21, 2006

WWdN: Another 2nd place finish


Tonight was a night where the results miss how lucky I was earlier in the evening. Final table first hand for me UTG, and I push all-in hoping to steal the blinds. Instead, a smooth call right behind me, and then the button pushes all-in. Flop was 632, so I ask Pokerstars for a 5, and the site delivers. More than triple up and that is what got me to the final two players.

Shadowtwin thanks for the chips tonight but sorry I couldn't take the chiplead all the way. Hoy's bro Aquaverse played like a superstar from what I thought was the toughest seat at the final table. Kat did her usual, kicking butt and finding solid hands until I got lucky with a set vs. her two pair. She will probably make me pay for that tomorrow evening in our live tournament. But I tip my hat to the guy I called to win it with 6 left: ABVidale. I don't think I saw a mistake out of him at the final table. When it was heads up, I had the chip lead until I ran 88 into 1010. From there I managed to double up twice to regain my former stack size. Then my two pair ran into his set of Q's that he slowplayed. It was all over the next hand when I reraised all in with 5's and he called with KQo. He hits two pair and it is all over. Fun time and some of the fun came from the wife joining in and watching me play. She had to play my hands for the first 20 minutes while I was eating and managed to double me up.

It doesn't look like my sponsor can get things setup for the WSOP but hopefully we will find a suitable tourament to send me to represent them later in the year. The good thing is that I can focus on improving my play to hopefully win a seat to one of the events. It has been a while since there was a poker goal to achieve but planning on playing a large tournament should inspire me.

8 comments:

CC said...

I think I was a negative luckbox for you; went to check it out, only to cause you to crash out in two successive hands. Great run and result!

Guin said...

It all comes down to the player. I could have played the two pair much better but live and learn.

Glad to see that you turned out to check on the game.

jjok said...

awesome run man!!!!!

Keep it up......or at least pass some of the mojo around.....

L'artiste said...

Cool, nice finish. I'm the guy who ran QQ into your KK early in the tournament (Or was that against your wife?). I'm happy the chips helped you reach the final two!

Guin said...

The wife was sitting there but I was the one telling her how to bet (She would have min raised and called and folded to a bet with the A on the flop). I was expecting to see a Q just so my wife could experience first hand what playing poker really feels like!

Chipping up early sure makes it easy to last until quite late in all of these events on Pokerstars. Sit back and wait for the deck to hit you in the face and rake in big pots.

Eric a.k.a. Bone Daddy said...

Nice work, it was almost an all canada final 3.

Donnie (aka Shadowtwin) said...

It took me a good thirty seconds of staring at the screen before I finally called that Hoy on the flop. I am not sure what I was more shocked about, the face that I called it with Ace high, or the fact that you pushed with King high -that was 17,000+ in chips for christ's sake. And it also goes to show that I can only win an all-in if I make the call when I am behind -and I had every reason to believe that I was behind on that hand. Well played.

At least I was able to really chip you up to pretty much guarantee you a spot in the final two. It was the least I could do after your generosity on those three hands a couple of weeks ago.

mookie99 said...

Nice job, consistently making final tables.