Tuesday, April 04, 2006

What Beat isn't Bad?!!

Had fun playing in Iggy's tourney last night. The quality of players at my starting table was a bit too tough of course with Doubleas to my immediate left. I told myself to adapt and play the opposite of how he was playing. He was tighter than I would have expected, since he plays a lot of 6 max and he should find us easy to push around post flop. Also, the big stacks and low blinds we started with all play to his strengths but he was taking it easy on us.

I did call a couple of his raises with junk hoping to connect but no luck and ended up folding to the pot sized c-betting. My goal was to play loose and mix it up but in small pots which wouldn't cost me a ton of chips. I end up raising from UTG with QQ on my fateful hand and get reraised from the BB. Now I put Rgpars on AA or KK with a slight chance for AK. I call and flop is a beautiful Q 7 3. Since Rgpars is out of position he leads out for about 1/2 pot. Smooth call and look at another low card. He leads out again for 3/4 pot to get rid of any flush draws and I push which was almost 4x the size of his bet. He goes into the tank and finally calls and the river is the dreaded A. My tourney is done but I played well and put myself in a great spot to double up but it wasn't to be tonight.

Went to Full Tilt with Hoyazo and got involved in one of the $8 token tourneys. Donked it up and ended up finishing one ahead of Hoyazo when the large stack called with OESD vs. my TP no kicker! He rivered a J and I was done on the bubble. Blah! Again good read but bad result.

Time for some ring and play! So solid for 200 hands and finally get KK in late position. Standard raise and two callers. Low flop and I bet and get a caller. Turn puts flush draw out and I bet again. Min-raised... oh oh. This is where the mistakes start. I call (don't think it is a mistake) and should have only been willing to call a value bet on river. Am I against a set or AA? Villian pushes who is large stack at table and I think about it and call for pot sized bet. The AA comes up and I am a donk who is $114 shorter than a minute ago. To think that I could have saved $70 on that river call is sickening.

Played a bit today and managed to claw back about $100 so in the end it is all okay. Now I have two days done of the Iron Man challenge. I know I can get 10 days... 15 is a bit of a stretch and 20 is almost impossible. Going on vacation later this month for a week which will eat into my playing days.

This Wednesday there is Kat's Tourney on Pokerstars (I found out last night why they call it Riverstars) and I plan on attending. Playing against bloggers rocks!

5 comments:

jjok said...

If my KK runs into AA one more time.......!!!!

Feel for ya man. That's a crap way to lose $100.

I Like Cake said...

What's your Pokerstars name? Didn't recognize you Monday night. I'm going to try and make mookie's big O tourney tonight 10pm on stars.

Guin said...

Still using Mungo36 for new accounts.... although I did try some Reliv products (I suggest that you don't try them) and told a few guys at work that Reliv would be the new name!

That crap tastes like chalk... give me a vitamin anyday.

I will put a list on the left side of my blog at some point...

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Guin, hopefully I'll see you tonight in Mookie's tournament. Maybe we can do an ftp $8 sng at while we're playing, just like old times. Although I have failed to cash in 2 or 3 in a row of those things over the past few days. That pisses me off.

Guin said...

Looks like I am playing live tonight... nice little club here in Toronto... NL 1/2 where half the guys buy in for $40 since they don't have that much cash. Nice to play against scared money for a change!

We will get out soon for some of those token events... got the cash in my last two...