Thursday, April 20, 2006

Playing Live = Fun!

Playing online you really get to play tons of hands, but live there is so much else to watch and notice, that it is a great change of pace. The first time I made it to this poker room in Toronto I found myself only taking the 15 seconds to make up my mind. Then it hit me that the goal is to ponder more, and think through a hand like a pro (assuming it isn't just an easy decision of course). Figuring out stack sizes and stuff also takes time, and I had to adjust to calcing this instead of it being in front of me all the time. I am just starting to get comfortable with making my bets and counting chips.

Last night was a blast. A buddy of mine likes to go for a couple cold ones prior to our live session. I don't mind because there is a $30 tournament (rebuys for first two levels) that takes time and lets me regain my composure. Also, most of the guys playing couldn't handle one beer so they usually think of me as the silly drunk guy. My buddy busts me out of the tournament by calling my steal with J10s when I was just trying to steal the blinds. Time for the ring game for me!

These guys play 1/2 NL $200 max but I am the big buy in for $100. The goal is to play a classic tight aggressive style and make them fear when I am in a hand. Most are buying in with $60 and calling preflop raises of $8-10. They seem to realize that when I pot the flop they are probably behind and let hands go. Using this technique I managed to get myself to the $140 range by the time of my last orbit (get to that soon). During this time my buddy has joined the table and the effects of a couple quick ones at the bar next door are having an effect on him. He buys in for $60 and gets stacked quite quickly. He rebuys and continues to play a very loose aggressive style. His K high all in bluff into a AA9 board didn't work against the guy holding A9. His all in bluff with K high on a QQQ73 board didn't work against the guy holding the case Q! Each time he rebuys and the table is loving him. I am starting to get worried so I announce that this is our last orbit and he should sit out... he rebuys again since I have one last hand to play before the BB gets to me. That should have been the sign that I should have picked up right there but figured it would have to be a good hand to play.

So here is the hand... dealt KJd and I limp along with Villian 1 and my buddy while BB completes.

Flop is Qd 10d 8x pot $9. Beautiful flop for me and since guys will call almost anything I bet out $10 to see if this board helped anyone else. Villan 1 calls, Buddy calls, BB reraises to $60.

Hmm... he could have a set but I saw him call down for half of his stack 5 hands earlier with K10o on a K high board. I figure he could have a hand like QJ or KQ and bet like that or it could be two pair, or set. The BB stack is about $150 so he has me covered while the other two stacks are around $70 each. I decide to push since I figure I have to have some fold equity and he would need a set or the Q high straight to call. And if he does I have a few outs!

I push, Villan 1 calls, Buddy calls, BB calls.... oh shit! Now I have no clue what is about to get turned over.

Hero: Kd Jd
Villian 1: Jx 9x
Buddy: 4x 4d
BB Qx 10x

So I have the OESFD while Villian 1 has Q high straight, Buddy looking for miracle runner runner to win with 4's, and BB has top two pair. Good news is only 1 diamond showing and one 9 gone... no A's showing!

Ran it through Poker Stove and this is what came up:

Board: Qd Td 8h
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 47.1297 % 46.22% 00.91% { KdJd }
Hand 2: 18.1655 % 18.17% 00.00% { QcTh }
Hand 3: 33.8495 % 32.94% 00.91% { Jc9s }
Hand 4: 00.8554 % 00.86% 00.00% { 4d4s }

Turn is a 5 and river is a 10 giving BB a full house. Stacked and time to go home. Amazing that I am ahead of even the Q high straight when my cash went in the middle.

No comments: