Monday, April 10, 2006

Running Bad

It is always puzzling on how a poker player goes into a slump. Do we start to doubt our reads? Or do we push what we perceive to be small edges when we are incorrect? For me, a lot of the problem comes from overconfidence. Instead of looking for a good table you open the first one you see. Why? Simple, I can beat them all! Instead, an hour has gone by playing against 3 tight aggressive stacks against other competent players. One wrong move and you are down a buyin and now start to play loose and more aggressive. Down two buyins and you are talking to the computer, the significant other, yourself about how things never go your way.

The above explains how I felt on Saturday night on Full Tilt (very well named based on some unmentionable bad beats). At some point, I finally just stopped for a minute and took mental inventory of what I was doing. When things aren't going well for me I find that I stop asking the basic questions: "What does he have to call me with?" "What does he think I have?" "What image does the table have of me?" Instead I revert to a situation where I put a person on a specific hand. This causes me to overplay my hands such as overpairs or flush draws. Next week I am folding all big pairs to serious aggression even if that makes me weak tight. Get rid of the fancy play which many people don't see and get it back to the basics that I built the bankroll with.

My biggest losing hands were AA, KK, QQ, and JJ wasn't far behind! My fourth best winning hand was the hammer! It was behind 88, AKs, AQs so it wasn't a total loss for hands holding up.

Long way of saying that I played poorly on top of big starting hands not holding up = -$250 on the weekend. Good thing is that I am in a positive mood that I can turn this around.

1 comment:

Riverrun said...

Stay the course Guin. Your bound to make second best hands sometimes, we all go through it. I think the biggest thing you mentioned is table image during these spouts.

I find the biggest reason I loose after dropping a buy in is because of image. I need a tight aggressive image in order to profit from a table, if they start calling my continuation bets its time for me to suck it up and move to another table/room. I have thrown away a lot of good money after bad by not following this.

Keep your chin up and if it helps I make a challenge to you:

First player to 10 Grand names the other person's blog for a month??

Or anything else you can think of?