Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Titan Sized Calling Station!

Working through a PSO bonus on Titan is a bit harder than other bonuses but I like the sites interface. No pokertracker but the hand history tool is quite useful for looking back at hands. Any site with no pokertracker usually ends up with much looser play as we can't see ourselves deviating from our standard line... I know I play more hands on this site.

Early results on the site are mixed but I am up almost $300. I am starting to get a bit too used to winning most of my races but that hasn't been the case over the last couple days. I had one maniac raise his fifth hand in a row at nl50 to $4 (he had a $20 stack) and called my reraise to $20 (I had pocket 9's) with J3 and of course he spikes a J to double up. Short stack play seems to be a big part of the player pool at this site.

This site also has an abundance of calling stations but I met the one that leads to my tip of the week.... never *EVER* try to bluff a calling station - wait until you have it and then bet them into the ground! Playing NL100 and I get 64s in MP2 and it folds to me, I raise to $4 and superstar in the big blinds calls. Flop is As 10x 8x so not a great flop for me but my caller checks. I bet $8 to see if he has an A and he flat calls. Turn is 8s which makes things better and worse for me... flush draw but that could be drawing dead... I decide to fire the second barrel and see if I can take this down now or worst case hopefully the flush hits. So I bet $15 and he calls so pot is now approx. $54 and I have $73 left. River is a Qx so no help to me so when it is checked to me the third time I review the hand. I have been representing strength the entire time and no way does he have the straight. If he was slowplaying AK the Q has to scare him and he will probably fold. AJ and A10 must also fear that Q so the only way I can see this call is with an 8 in hand or a slowplayed set. So I push in for another $70 and he thinks and finally pulls off the call of the century with 10 7!!! ACK! I almost shit myself when I saw that.... he has been added to my buddy list and I will hunt him down until he makes the call with his last real money chip!

He went from the big stack with approx. $260 to less than $175 when he left the table. I managed to get back a few dollars when he called me down on another hand. At the river I would have normally value bet $8 into a $20 pot... instead I bet $25 and he called again!

So in the end I learned my lesson and it burned deep... good thing is that solid play made back that lost stack and then some over a couple hours. I am even trying some of the NL200 tables for short periods but they aren't available often with full ring games.

2 comments:

Al said...

That was a gutsy play, and you deserved a better fate. It always hurts to lose to a maniac, and not much solace to know they'll eventually get crushed soon.

You're doing a lot better at the tables than I am. Hope you keep it up.

ChicagoJason said...

Don't you hate that! I hate that!

Thanks for stopping by Chicago Poker Club. I'll keep an eye on you. ;)

ChicagoJason