Thursday, February 16, 2006

Live vs. Online - I suck vs. getting better

I have to say that I suck at playing poker live. That is hard to accept since when I play online I feel like I can dominate most hands that I play. The worst hand I played last night was with AA. Six people limp in a 1/2 NL table with 100 max buy in and I only raise it to $8... what the hell was I thinking? If I am online I would make it 3xbb + 1bb per limper = 9 bb or $18. So that was my first mistake. So I get 4 callers and flop is 8d 5d 3 x. Since I am in the small blind do I bet pot like I would online.... no... I wimp out and bet $12 which gets called by three people. Now I really know that I have messed up... so I bet $40 on a 10x turn and acted like I just hit a set. One fold... second guy is thinking and says out loud "So you hit your set." I figure this is working in my favor as he can get the other guy to believe that then hopefully both fold their flush draws and I can get away from this bad dream. He folds and the last guy only has $40 left and says he has to call and my set is probably good. He shows two pair 10 8 and takes down a nice pot. Blah.... I felt like puking. The hand was a good smack in the face and I did play better afterwards.

I raise to $8 pre flop (QcJc) with everyone folding to me in late position. BB calls and flop is Ax 9c 4c. BB leads out for $10 and I ask how many chips he has left (another $30) so I raise it to $40. He thinks but doesn't like his kicker and folds. Good play.

K10o I just limp from MP2 and would have folded to a large raise. 5 callers and flop is KQJ. BB pushes all in for $14 and it folds around to the guy on my right. He just calls which was weird since he had been aggressive all night and he had $70 left in front of him. I raise it $40 more and he folds along with the two guys behind me. I end up heads up against K8 and I catch a 10 on the turn and luckily no A on river so I win another nice hand.

K10d with me in utg+1 so I limp (I was playing weak tight) and the flop is QdJd10. No raise pre flop so I don't think anyone has AK. I bet $10 and got a caller who only had about $45 in front of him. So on the turn of an 8 he pushes all in but I figure he would do that with almost any card that came down. I call since I have quite a few outs and catch the A on the river. Sort of good hand but I should have raised a bit preflop. Also on flop I should try to take it down at that point which might have been possible if someone thought that I would raise with AK.

So ended the night up $47 but it should have been a much larger win with this table full of loose aggressive players. Instead I folded a few hands that I should have taken down but after a few more nights playing live I am sure I will get the hang of it.

I think I will add a live tab under my left column but I might have to withdraw something from neteller to keep things legit!

No comments: