Monday, November 13, 2006

Victory in the Hoy!

Managed to not lose my composure at the final table like normal.... also only made one lousy call with Q10o when I called a re-re-raise of my steal attempt. Lucky for me that I ran into Q9s and my hand held up.

The tournament started well with me catching some cards vs. Mowenumdown who kept flopping sets that couldn't hold up against 53s (I hit a flush) and the fateful hand of 82o vs. 87 in a blinds battle where I flopped two pair and turned the boat. GG Mow and that chip lead really helped out.

After that Shadowtwin was nice enough to not crack my 5's in a coinflip and I was off to the final table! He said that without his chips there was no way I was going to win it.

Fuel had some bad luck at the final table to bubble but played his usual aggro game to put a run at winning the tournament. In the end it was CJ standing toe to toe with me and luckily I held a good chip lead. He did manage to chip into it a bit but then I started to get more aggro and it paid off. Won with AJ vs. 99 with the J on the turn all in preflop.


Sweet turn to win the Hoy

The funny thing about the results is that I am usually finishing where Hoy finished, and he usually finishes where I finished... if that makes any sense!

First Hoy Victory!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also managed to not totally tilt when my warm up $10 SNG ended poorly for me. One of the things I seem to do when I am playing my A game (stop laughing!) is that people get tilted by my plays. LAG player to my right raises from the button and I repop it to about 40% of my stack with Q high. He folds and I don't show. No comments but I could tell that he wasn't enjoying my TAG play pushing him around the couple times we tangled. Down to 5 handed when the hand happened that should have ruined my play in the Hoy. KK in the SB and the superstar LAG raises again which is what I expect everytime it folds around to him. I reraise for 50% of my stack to make it appear that this move is a steal. He pushes and I call.... villians hand A3o! A on the turn and I get to focus on the Hoy. Damn the effect of playing back at someone hard gets people to do silly things. Win that hand and cashing is certain and 1st is a good possibility. In the end you wonder what hand range the villian put me on prior to the push since fold equity really wasn't there.

3 comments:

slb159 said...

Nice work in the Hoy. Sorry your other tourney didn't turn out so well. As we've all learned from watching these monkeys play, any A is good and if you pair your kicker on the flop with any A, it's most certainly the nuts.

Donnie (aka Shadowtwin) said...

I like my push positionally. I had you on a low pair and that put my 8-Js at even heading into the flop. Even odds is the best I could have hoped for with my miniscule stack. But my mistake was getting into it with you on a coinflip. Now had you had aces or kings, and been an 80% favorite, I would surely have sucked out huge on the river.

You played a heck of a game. I can't recall seeing you lose a hand at showdown. Next time though, I will remember to get in way behind, that'll learn ya!

SirFWALGMan said...

Good Job Penguin Boy! Send 10$ to FT immediately or I will start playing against you again! Heh. Just kidding. Could not happen to a better guy! Congrats!