Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Big Game - Lucky Night

The excitement I had to play in the Blogger Big Game had me pumped all day. Had to go to work on Sunday but managed to get my head clear (had to avoid wine at dinner) and ready to play well.

TripJax seemed to enjoy calling all of my raises with what felt like any two cards and betting large into me on the river. Folded KK once to his madness when the A hit on the turn card I already had him on a set. The next time I raised was with AKo, TripJax calls, SB calls and we see a flop.

As 5x 3s --- so the flush draw and potential for sets is what is on my mind at this point. SB leads out with 1/2 pot, I think about raising but felt that keeping pot small but I have Trip on a draw if he calls. The insta call worries me but if he had a flush draw it would make sense to call here. Sets become less likely because he would have to raise against two players.

Turn 6x. Looks like a harmless card and when the SB bets 3/4 pot I figure I am ahead and push 1,900 in chips in the middle. TripJax reraises my push and TPTK looks like the trash that it is. SB folds and I see the bad news.


Board: As 3s 5h 6h
equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 18.1818 % 18.18% 00.00% { AhKs }
Hand 2: 81.8182 % 81.82% 00.00% { 6s5s }

Nice to see that my hand reading skills were so accurate. He is drawing to a flush or full house. Luck prevailed and a miracle 3x hit on the river and I take an early chip lead. Next orbit in the BB with AKo vs. 1010 and the stack is growing nicely.

So it was starting to look like I could go far in this premium event with a large chiplead early giving me time to sit back and wait for solid starting hands. If I did make a mistake it was not leaning on players like Smokkee at this point. Post flop I am not as good a player as him, but I can push lots of chips in the middle and put the pressure on him. Instead I played textbook TAG poker.

My luck peaked with the following hand. In BB with 88, facing a standard 3x raise from MP and I call. Check raise Budohorseman all in on the flop and wasn't too happy running into set over set.


How to hit the one outer!

At least I put those chips to good work and managed a nice 3rd place finish. Thanks to the luck factor and the chips I managed to steal in these hands made it possible!

Out in 3rd
Congrats to Sprstoner and Smokkee on the finish.

6 comments:

TripJax said...

I don't recall details of most of the action, but I do recall playing the exact same style of play I had planned to play if I was afforded the opportunity (getting the right cards). I wanted to get into pots early with the right types of cards where I could stack up (suited connectors, small gappers, medium pairs, etc). In essence, take advantage of the double stack format.

The beauty of the double stack tourney is you can get into pots early and it won't hurt you too much, but it can payoff big time when you catch a decent hand against a big hand like AA or KK which does not improve. Of course, it can also get you in trouble when things don't pan out or the river is unkind.

On your KK hand, I don't remember specifics, but I didn't have a set or an Ace. I think I had two pair.

On the fateful hand (for me) if my memory serves this was a perfect type of play for me to get in and take someones stack. I had suited connectors and had already shown a willingness to play early). I hit a decent hand on the flop that got even better on the turn. While I was concerned with a decent size bet and an all-in in front of me, I'm taking that hand with me all the way since I have a good hand and am drawing to numerous better hands.

Other than that one hand I don't recall ever showing (or having to show) my hand until my last which was suited AK, which lost to TT. So the any two cards is a stretch, but I will agree I was definitely getting into my fair share of pots early when the situation was right.

An interesting thing...after getting rivered twice, I was still pretty laid back. You see, I had just written a post about not letting bad beats bring bad bets (all-ins with bad hands). I knew I was going to be posting it on Monday and didn't want to fall prey to a situation I had just written about.

In the end, it was just not my night. I put myself in numerous situations to chip up, but it didn't work out. I could have definitely played some situations differently - and I'm not sure I even like some of my plays against you - so there are some lessons learned for me in that tourney.

Like I said before, it was a tough field to navigate through so very nice job on your part. Gotta love dem quads...I didn't know that until I read your post.

For the record, I would much rather see the person who gets my chips end up winning or making the money instead of donking off the next hand. You succeeded in that right.

See you at the next one!

Riverrun said...

nice showing!!

Guin said...

TripJax,

I was starting to think that you really wanted my donk chips because I only raised (and played) 3 hands and you called everytime.

I agree with the idea of getting involved early but since that is my typical style I went for the TAG approach and hope to hit early. That KK hand made me get involved in a few hands and switch gears to a more aggro style.

On that crazy hand I really didn't like how I played it at all... reraise on the flop was the only way to play it.

Getting through most fields is a lot easier with a great chiplead. Post quads you will see I have 12k while most have 2-3k stacks. Hopefully I get into that situation again when I am feeling aggro and really work on that bullying.

Liked your play and it was starting to tilt me ... I was amazed at your ability to not berate me for my luck that night. See you next time.

Riverrun said...

GUIN...here is a bonus offer with booya....receive $10 absolutely free - no deposit required but make sure you setup a REAL MONEY account!! As soon as you have setup your account email your BooyaPoker.com screenname to manager@booyapoker.com, be sure to include RyeandPoker referral in the subject of the email.

I think u need 1000 action points to cash it out but atleast it pays for your PNIC buy in.

Astin said...

Congrats on making the money! I played like ass, so I'm glad I tokened my way in this time.

You should come out to play cash after the raps game tonight. You and whoever you're with should be good and boozed-up by then. :)

Guin said...

I think that is exactly why I won't want to go lose money playing poker tonight...

Getting too boozed up at raptor games isn't as easy as it once was because they can't serve the big beers like at a hockey game. One of my buddies has switched to grabbing 2 rum and cokes per quarter which seems to do the trick. Beer is just too easy to spill if you get them two at a time.