Wednesday, November 22, 2006

9th Place LAG...

Managed to squeak into the money last night in the WWdN which was good. Made a couple mistakes late after building an alright stack and then way way overplaying TPTK against an overpair. So silly of me to do things that I wouldn't do any other time. Blaming that bad play on how tired I was playing last night.

Used the 2nd chance to work on my LAG skillz (sorely lacking) and managed to build up a nice stack. The good part of raising every other hand and then cbetting is that you win lots of small pots but you get to stack people when you hit really hard. Flopped a flush and bet out only to get raised! It rocks to convince people that you will bet with nothing and are willing to do it with your whole stack. Calling raises cold also gave me a chance to play post flop which is an area where I need more work. Spent time trying to figure out what hands a person could be holding to make plays against me. It was making poker fun again... have to try it again in a few more events. Of course it all ended badly when I put CJ on a pocket pair or missed draw and he was firing with air.... instead he had AA. Such a good read!

Had to turn down flying to Buffalo to watch the Leafs game and flying back because I am going out tomorrow night as well. Don't get me wrong I will be out for a bit this evening but just not for long. Tomorrow night is the NHL Alumni poker night money raiser for scholarships for kids.... damn thing sucks for structure so I will be pushing one of my first three hands to get to an early chiplead or bust.

Got out monday night and drank some Cakebread Cellars 2003 Cab which was good but way too young to be opening now. That still didn't stop 3 of us from downing 3 bottles plus a bottle of Caymus Zin. Paid for my drinks by taking the guys on at that point to HU poker for $50 / game. Smoked both of the guys and ended up with a few extra dollars in my pocket. Not a bad night overall but it will keep me in check over the next couple nights.

2 comments:

CJ said...

Yeah... people who say you can't trick people with your play online just aren't working hard enough.

I will play what I believe to be a big hand in a number of ways. Sometimes using my betting strategy or my clock to feign weakness. Sometimes I'll play it really fast against an opponent who I think will believe that that shows weakness.

For you, I thought playing it soft might get you to bite. You played well in both tourneys last night... we've tangled quite a bit recently :-)

Guin said...

If we have tangled it has been because I have enjoyed the extra stress of playing against tougher players.

I have figured out that if I avoid tough situations in blogger events I can make the cash. That isn't enough anymore as I want to get to that next level. So now I make a read and follow through even if it makes me look crazy!