Thursday, August 03, 2006

Won a live MTT ... Game Turning Around?

Wow, I almost can't believe I won that tournament last night. 3 table MTT with $40 buy in and I took down the $400 for first place. Kat and Astin were also playing in the event, with Astin to my right for the first table. Kat got frisky early, and found herself on the rail waiting for the lucrative cash game. Don't ask her about her hand with the boat!

These tournaments look great with 4k in starting chips and a 25/50 starting blind structure, but in the end the blinds go up too fast. 15 min levels means only a few hands before you start to get to the 200/400 level and hopefully you have chips to fight back the blind stealers. My first big hand was 64h UTG (50/100 level) with me limping in. I was playing tight (limping with this hand to switch gears a bit) at this super aggressive table and it gets around to CO who raises to 2.5x bb. Astin calls and I follow suit and see a 763 rainbow hit the board. Checked to the raiser and he makes it 300 to go. That was quite a small bet into an 800 pot so I called figuring that a 4, 5 or 6 give me a hidden made hand. Turn is a 6 and I check raise him all in. He calls with J's and bricks the river and I am chipped up.

Got to the final table with about 3.5k in chips and then robbed Astin of all of his to start my final table domination. I pushed with AJs and Astin had AKo and I manged to hit my 3 outer. Felt bad taking out a blogger at the final table, since there were others I would rather eliminate. My AKs rivered 10's to knock out another player. In another hand, a Q on the river gave me a set of Q's to put a guy out who paired his K on the turn.

Now we get to the hand of the evening for me.... AKo and blinds are 500/1000 so I raise to 3k from MP. There are three shortstacks left, out of 6 players (less than 5k) and I am the chipleader with about 35k in front of me. BB has 20k and he calls my raise. My read on the BB is that he is tight passive, and he was at my first table to my left and had not see me show any poor hands when I turned over my cards. So the pot is 6500 and he leads out with a 10k bet on a flop of Ax Kh 10h. Damn top two pair.... either I am really ahead or really behind in this situation. Why would he leave 7k behind? What would you guys do in this situation? Raise, call or fold? What hand does the opponent have?

I will wait for someone (if anyone gets this far!) to respond before I reveal what happened.

8 comments:

mookie99 said...

Congrats on the win last night. I like playing online tournaments, but live tourneys are so much more fun.

Guin said...

Playing live with bloggers is added fun... we had a nice last longer bet and also a hammer dropping first bet going to add to the fun.

Matt Silverthorn said...

Well, I don't think you can put him on a straight here. Even with two hearts on the board, I think that overbet would be too much with a made hand. And since he's heads up with you, he really can't fear the flush draw too much. He may possibly have bottom set with tens, and is trying to get you away from the scary straight/flush board, but that is fairly unlikely. With six players left, I would think he would reraise preflop with TT.

I think he probably has AQ, AJ, AT here, and I would put him all in, especially if you have the Ah.

I'm not sure why he would leave 7k behind at this point, as the pot odds would force him to call you if he has anything at all and he gets reraised all in. Of course, maybe he thinks 7k is enough left behind so that he can fold if you push.

katitude said...

oh crap Guin, I forgot to pay you the last longer!

Transferring on Stars babes, sorry about that...

C.L. Russo said...

Congrats on the win! Winning that much dough in a live tourney would definitely get me pumped up.

Guin said...

Well Matt I don't know how you don't put the guy on QJ as a potential hand here. I think the 10's is also possible since he probably wanted to see a low board and then bet with an overpair.

Also playing live I find that making just a pot bet doesn't get people to stop drawing. A lot of these guys don't like to get pushed off of pots so you almost have to overbet to convince people that they don't have correct odds!

He has 17k left... would you bet 6.5k and leave more behind if you had the nut straight but no hearts?

Matt Silverthorn said...

Six handed, I would be more than happy to check the nut straight on the flop, especially being heads up with only one player. If my opponent just happens to be on the flush draw, I'm willing to to risk the one in three chance that I will go broke here. I just can't see the nut straight betting here at all, especially that much. That is definitely a monster trapping hand.

Garthmeister J. said...

I meant to reply to this earlier - I think he has a set. I think he may have over bet because of the possible straight and the flush draw. No re-raising preflop (as Matt has suggested) may be due to his passive play you suggested in your read of him.

As he is showing strength there I wouldn't mind letting my hand go, even though it is a tough fold. You still have plenty of chips left, you retain the chip lead, and are not going to war with the 2nd or 3rd largest stack.