Monday, February 26, 2007

More Realistic Results

Managed to focus on getting in lots of hands this weekend... that meant less sleep so tomorrow night I might not play much. My problem hands right now are TPTK and overpairs vs. shortstacks with sets. I really don't see how you can get away from paying them off but then outplaying them when they have a larger stack. The ones I hate the most are the little hit and run experts!

More realistic
The second leg down was from losing two big hands one of which pissed me off. I was running my now usual 34/23/3+ style and of course people play back at that after a while. I noticed that when I raised from MP and one person called he would use a squeeze play from the button. So a couple orbits later with KK in MP I do the same raise and get the same caller. He insta reraises again and I fire another reraise at him so he knows I am not folding to his push. He pushes with AKs and I have him dominated. We were both large stacks at the time so losing $80 at a NL50 table to a rivered flush was a bit annoying. The other was an overpair of 9's where I correct read that the guy was pushing the flop with a flush draw. He hits it and another large stack gone.

Oh well at least I was getting paid off when I flop trips because I bet almost every hand. The tough part is to not keep firing when they have a hand. Glad I pushed the number of hands I could get into a weekend just to see what it must be like to do this for a living... only fun when you want to play.

2 comments:

Gnome said...

Wow, 34 VP$IP. How do you do it? I can't seem to get my numbers up that high even in loose shorthanded games, and I'm no longer sure I want to. I need to check, but I think I'm around 24 or 25. I open with K8s and Axs and up from any position, as well as all pocket pairs. I'll only play hands like KTo and 56s from late position though. What do you do differently?

Guin said...

At low levels I find that players limp or min raise a lot more often than you are used to seeing. That allows me to play along with more connectors or one or two gappers.... I will post my 85s raise from UTG tonight for example.

I agree that going up that high is probably not needed but I am trying to push myself to get really LAGGY so I can tighten it up at higher levels. How often do you run into tables with 2 players over 60% vpip? I had three tables going like that at once last night... totally nuts since I was the one considered tight at the table!

Also I feel that I can win post flop against almost all of the players so any two cards work against weak/tight guys. My super loose tables always get one 6% vpip rock kicking around for me to punish everytime they are in the BB.

My attempt to steal blinds is up to 45%. My success rate is amazing against the rocks who eventually have to come out of their shell to defend. That is how you stack them!

Playing a few more junk hands per hour vs. raises should get you to the 30% range easily. 35s is a fun one for wheel straights.