Tuesday, February 27, 2007

High VPIP

The Superstar Poker Gnome (nice 10k winning day) asked me how I could possibly get my vpip over 30% and I said I would show one of the ways I was doing it.... raising from EP with hands that hit gold or are easy folds. I do cbet often but usually with position or when against weak/tight players that are likely to fold unless I am beat. Against tricky players I cbet less but just often enough that they play back at me when I have a big hand later on. Think of it as a way to induce bluffs later on in the session... lose a few small pots but stack them later on.

The Gnome just wrote a masterpiece on 3 betting that everyone should read and it will be a focus for me over the next week. To do this I will probably pull the vpip back to the mid 20% range so I appear to be a little less of a LAG type player.

Beware the Penguins! Gotta love the moves the team made at the trade deadline.

2 comments:

Gnome said...

Thanks! I think you're onto something with occasional EP raises with weakish hands that can hit big. I get the impression that these plays need to be made in moderation, but I'm looking for ways to get my VPIP up. I checked my numbers, and I've been playing 23/16 so far this year...that's a little too tight, IMHO. I'd like to get around 25/20.

Guin said...

Well the occasional part is something that I am working on... have to stop myself from thinking that I can win every hand.

That and I have to stop running into sets because there are so many set monkeys out there to dodge.