Monday, January 29, 2007

POY Event 1 & Live Last Week

So last week I decided to take the CR style and put it to good use at the live tables and see how it fares against the calling stations at my local club. All I can say is that it sure tightens a table up a bunch when they are scared of getting reraised and have sizable bets coming their way all night.

Focusing on position also allows me to steal a bunch of unwanted pots that I enter so my stack is much larger than it would normally be when the bad beats arrive. So overall the first week of CR style while playing live was +$400 and I still don't know what the hell I am doing yet!

On the online side I had to get back to NL25 after donking away 3 buyins at NL50 while drinking and playing... it was fun but have to earn that back (and continue to work on playing the CR style at 6 max tables) before I can jump up to higher levels.

So all this rambling gets me to discuss my play last night in the WPBT event 1. Played a bit tighter with Lucko on my right keeping me in line with his fantastic style. I still don't know why everyone tries to pick him off since he likes to call bets that are larger than value bets with middle pair! Nothing worse than a solid LAG on your right and with a ton of chips. The good thing is that these guys recognize the guys who play a TAG style and adapt. Had a phone call where I folded a BB where I should call and would have won a monster pot... damn mother in laws! Then the laptop decided to make it a tough night and folded my QQ on the BB with StatiKing with a shortstack raise. Reboot and try to play some poker... still over 2k chips no time to worry.

Finally get doubled up when I flop a set vs. AA and got all in on the turn. From there on I only had one really bad play that that was against Change100. *She* raised the SB when it folded to her and I took that to be a steal so I pushed with KQo and after thinking it was a steal only to see the call with AJo so still a race but 60/40 and I won. Sorry Change100 it was my worst play but the karma would come back to bite me on the butt later on.

Not enough bloggers know that Raveen is my poker nemesis... my poker goal is to stack him so often he drops out of medical school due to the shame! Actually he seems like a cool guy who kicks ass at poker but he was a luckbox last night. I announced to him that I would bring swift justice to the one who drops quads on my TPnoK hand for a stack at 1/2 NL (also known as the worst hand I have played in about a year)! Well I managed to reraise him 3 times and that drove him over the edge!

Raveen raises from MP which is his standard way to enter a pot. I know that I have been pushing back at him a lot so I decide to let him know that folding isn't an option for me in this hand with AQs and 15 people remaining. Blinds are 300/600 with 100 ante if I remember correctly. So his raise to 1,800 looked weak and from the CO I reraised to 6,666 and I only had 5,400 approx. behind. Why not push? Because I didn't want it to look like a desperate move with a small pair. And he knows that I have pot committed myself to my hand so no way can he feel that he has any fold equity in this hand. He pushes and I am hoping to be against a smaller Ax... instead he turns of 65o.... hmm that is interesting considering he is one of the chip leaders and I wasn't too far behind and only 7 get paid this evening. He hits the straight and I am done for the night.... ugg... at least he went on to win the whole tournament.

Now the concept of people just playing blogger events for fun making such moves normal just doesn't make sense to me. After investing 2+ hours of time the buyin for the event shouldn't dictate play anymore.... now we are down to the few guys who are actually trying to win this evening. With my KQ hand I actually thought I was ahead of steals (according to Pokerstove it is a top 9.2% hand) vs. doing the same with 56o (71.6% hand)... heck Hoy complains about calling reraises with AQo (6.5%) so I know where he stands on this hand.

In the end I got my money in good. Win that hand and then running towards the cash with a good stack and lots of people sitting with low M's getting ready to push. Good to know that my prior raises can get people to do silly stuff because they get tired of someone playing back at them. Still focused and working hard to be that pest who can get you to put your tourney life on the line preflop with a non paired 6 high. Either that or I am running into a lot of guys who would rather go to bed than win an event... who then go on to win the event.

5 comments:

Pseudo_Doctor said...

lol good post and yes i donkied it up. In reality i really did just want to get back to studying which is why i pushed like i did, but also like you looked up as long as my cards were live (granted i was chipleader and shouldnt have made that play in the first place) I still had a good shot at getting a huge chiplead...which I did. And as you can see the chips didnt go to waste. But to answer your question I was playing to get my mind off school not to win the event. Granted that 500 is alot of money to some of the bloggers but it isn't a big deal to me since thats like 4 hours of cash play at my hourly rate. Thats why i would play the event not caring about cashing. I did feel bad though about knocking you out considering the cash game before too but I'm sure u'll have you day in the sun as well were I will be the favorite and you will suckout on me. Or at least you can hope. Good playing last night though u were playing well and I'm sure we'll tangle it up again. Take care

Schaubs said...

GG Guin. You were def. putting the pressure on people late.

See you around.

Guin said...

Raveen the POY points were also added to this event which made it a bit bigger than a normal blogger event... and I can use all the points I can get early to keep me motivated to learn other games for later in the year.

The $500 to me would be a good boost to the online bankroll but I wasn't playing for the cash either... I wanted to beat you straight up! *KGB accent ends here*

Don't feel bad for me as I will be out there in the next event ... and keeping my game strong and pressure filled right to the end.

I do think that the three reraises I fired your way earlier impacted your decision in the final hand.

It was good to see you go on to win the event with lots of solid play after that hand was over.

And to Schaubs thanks for stopping by and the words of encouragement!

actyper said...

Which underground club do you play at?

Guin said...

The club is called the Nuttz...

http://www.thenuttzpokerclub.com/news.php

If you are in Toronto and want to play just email me at guin36 at gmail dot com.